top of page

Useful Information

McDonagh Funeral Directors

McDonagh Funeral Directors want to ensure you have everything you need for both the funeral arrangements and after the funeral. We are here to answer any questions or queries, or ease any worries you might have. 

Below you will find some general information that we believe will be of use to you. With regards to documentation and paper work, McDonagh Funeral Directors can provide assistance and help you obtain any necessary certificates or grants.

Death Certificate

The next of kin must register the death within three months of the occurrence. A death certificate may obtained online or from a local registrar. To find out who your local registrar is you can speak to the deceased’s GP, nursing home, hospital mortuary or coroner. Alternatively, your local funeral home may be able to assist you with this.

Death Benefit

The Death Benefit is a Social Welfare Grant that helps to pay funeral expenses. In order to apply for this benefit you will need to visit your local Social Welfare Officer and bring along a copy of the death certificate and funeral invoice.

Old Age Pension Books

Widows and Widowers are entitled to the deceased’s pension in full for a further 6 weeks. Old age pension books should be returned to the post office as soon as possible after a death has occurred.

Carer’s Allowance

If a family member or friend is on carer’s allowance when the death of the person they are claiming for occurs, then they are entitled to that allowance for a further 6 weeks. The social Welfare Officer should be notified as soon as possible.

Widowed Parent Grant

This grant is a payment for widows and widowers with dependent children. That is a child up to the age of 18 or a child between the ages of 18 and 22 in full time education. For more information and to find out how to qualify you can contact the Department Pension Services Office, Widowed Parent Grant Scheme.

Exceptional Needs Payment

Administered by the Health Boards on behalf of the Department of Social and Family Affairs, this payment may be available to you and provides financial assistance if you do not have adequate means to pay for the funeral.

bottom of page